The Philadelphia Flyers losing streak is now up to six games after a 4-3 overtime loss to the New York Islanders.  The team looked much better in Brooklyn than they did versus the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday night, but still came up short.


Dave Hakstol had to be happy with his team’s start after last night’s loss.  Sean Couturier looked like scored in the first minute of the game, but after a quick review it was rule that the puck never crossed the goal line.  About three minutes later, Travis Konecny sprung Michael Raffl, but he was denied by Thomas Greiss. 


Taylor Leier got the Flyers on the board at 6:02 as he drove hard to the net and the rebound off a Travis Sanheim shot hit off his skate and got in behind Greiss.  Scott Laughton had the secondary assist on Leier’s first goal in the NHL since December of 2016.


The Islanders erased the great Flyers start with a late first period power play goal to tie the game.  Josh Bailey made a nice cross-ice pass to rookie sensation Matt Barzal at the left circle where he roofed a wrist shot over the shoulder of Brian Elliott.


After being denied on a breakaway in the first period, Raffl finally ended his 42-game goal drought 46 seconds into middle period. This time Couturier sent Raffl in all alone on Greiss where he deked and then tucked a backhand shot around his left skate to give the Flyers a 2-1 lead.  Ivan Provorov was credited with an assist on the play as well.


Less than seven minutes later, defenseman Johnny Boychuk tied the game while the Islanders were on a 5-on-3 power play.  Bailey picked up another primary assist as Boychuk blasted a one-timer from the slot off of his pass.


The Islanders grabbed their first lead of the night about four minutes later as Joshua Ho-Sang skated to front of the net and deflected an Adam Pelech shot over Elliott.  The play was reviewed to see if the puck was hit with a high stick, but Ho-Sang’s twig was below the crossbar.


The lead did not last long as Jakub Voracek tied the game with his seventh goal of the season at the 13:54 mark.  While on the power play, Voracek took a pass from Wayne Simmonds in the right circle and banked a wrist shot off the near post and in.  Claude Giroux picked up his 14th helper of the season on the play as well.


Bailey capped off his big night with the game winner in overtime.  John Tavares won a great one-on-one puck battle with Couturier and got it across to a wide open Bailey.  His first shot hit the near post, but he had the time to collect the rebound and put it past Elliott.


Even though he gave up four goals, the Flyers would not have earned a point without the effort of Brian Elliot who made numerous big saves over the final two periods and overtime. 


These two teams will meet again at the Wells Fargo Center on Friday. 

Image Credit: Getty Images