The good news for the Philadelphia Flyers is that they scored two goals versus Winnipeg Jets.  The bad news that it still only the top line doing it and the lack of secondary scoring cost them more points.

The Flyers offense came in struggling after back-to-back shutouts versus the Minnesota Wild, but they wasted very little time getting on the board tonight.  Just 2:27 into the first period, Jakub Voracek ended the scoring drought with his fourth goal of the season. Voracek went to the front of the net and was able to reach Jacob Trouba to poke home a rebound off of a Sean Couturier shot.  Claude Giroux had the secondary assist on the play.

Less than three minutes later the Flyers doubled their lead with a power play goal.  Couturier crashed the net and stuffed home the rebound off a Wayne Simmonds shot for his team-high 11th goal of the year.  Voracek was credited with the secondary assist, his 18th helper on the season.

Midway through the first period, Radko Gudas was sent to the showers early with a five minute major for slashing and a game misconduct.  Gudas got tangled up with Mathieu Perreault below the goal line and slashed the back of Perreault’s head while he was on the ice.  The game misconduct was giving to Gudas initially, but it was assessed after the officials saw the replay on the scoreboard, so apparently that’s a thing now.

The Flyers were able to kill off the five minute major thanks in part to some big saves by goaltender Brian Elliott.

Perreault got the Jets on the board with the power play goal at 13:05 of the second period.  Perreault entered the zone a 2-on-1 rush with Joel Armia, took the feed and beat Elliott between the legs.

The Flyers looked like they were about get a regulation win, but Blake Wheeler made a pass out front, from below the goal line, where Mark Scheifele’s one-timer tied the game with just 48.2 seconds remaining in overtime.

With 1:05 left in overtime, the Flyers were busted for too many men on the ice, but the penalty was negated by a high-sticking penalty by Patrik Laine with 18.8 seconds remaining.  Wheeler had the game on his stick in the final seconds, while on a 2-on-1 rush, but he shot wide of the net.

While the goaltending was sharp during the 65 minutes of play, the shootout belonged to the shooters.  The first four shooters all scored before the goaltenders came up with a pair of saves in the third round.  After Brian Little scored in the fourth round, Travis Konecny was stopped by Connor Hellebuyck.

This one stings a bit, especially after building an early lead on the road and having the lead in the final minute of regulation.

Image Credit: Getty Images